Contrary to popular belief, you can become addicted to marijuana. It is rarer than some other drug addictions, with only about 30% of those who take marijuana on a regular basis developing a dependency on it. The earlier you begin smoking marijuana, the more likely you are to experience a dependency.
If you need help with your marijuana dependence, you can call us now for immediate help.
What Are The Symptoms Of A Marijuana Dependency?
When a person does not consume marijuana for a prolonged period of time, they may start to experience withdrawal symptoms. This can include:
- Difficulty falling asleep.
- Mood swings
- They may lose their appetite
- They may experience cravings for very specific food.
- Severe irritability.
These symptoms will last for about 2 weeks after the last consumption of the drug. It is worth noting that even if you are not dependent on the drug, it is in your best interests to ensure that you give up the drug eventually. This is because, for many people, marijuana is a gateway drug. While this drug is hardly the ‘hardest’ drug out there, with many people campaigning for it to become legal, it can act as a way towards other drugs. It is common to find that people addicted to some of the harder drugs began with taking marijuana quite innocently.
When Do You Know That You Need Rehabilitation?
If you meet one of or more of the criteria below, then you should consider entering rehabilitation:
- If you are smoking marijuana even if you know it will impair your ability.
- You are smoking to the point where you can forget long periods of time.
- You continue to smoke, even when people close to you tell that you are smoking too much.
- You get high, even when you have important events to attend.
Marijuana Rehab Facts
This section is dedicated to facts about rehab:
- You will be able to attend many rehabilitation classes under Medicare. There are also private options if you do not wish to wait for treatment.
- Your rehabilitation is not going to be complete at the end of ‘treatment’. Sadly, overcoming addiction to the drug, just like every other drug out there, is going to be a lifelong struggle. However, you will be given coping techniques which should ensure that things go by as smoothly as possible.
- You can attend rehabilitation on either an inpatient or outpatient basis. The latter is the most effective method, although you do have to be aware that you will be away from work for long periods of time, so it is not the ideal solution if you need the income. However, many jobs will be accommodating should you tell them that you are looking to overcome an addiction, particularly if they see that it has been hampering your performance.
- Rehab will help establish and deal with any issues which may have led to your marijuana addiction e.g. abuse in your family.
Marijuana Rehab Tips
Marijuana rehab is not going to be an easy process to get through. While some people find that overcoming a marijuana addiction is a bit ‘easier’ than overcoming other drug addiction, it is still difficult. This is because marijuana is so easy to access, so when a person leaves treatment, they will be faced with several opportunities where they may encounter the drug. It will take a lot of strength to avoid taking the marijuana:
- There are some people out there who say that you must ‘want’ to overcome your addiction before you enter a rehabilitation center. While this will help, it is not strictly necessary. There are some people who will discover halfway through the process that this is the best route for them. So, if you are not sure about whether you are willing to give up the marijuana right now, you may still want to consider trying it out. It may help you out.
- During the initial detoxification process for marijuana addiction, it is advised that you drink a lot of water. Marijuana does stay in your system for a long time. This can make overcoming the addiction difficult. The water will help to flush out the toxins, which will make the process a bit smoother.
- There are some people out there who will binge on marijuana the day before they enter rehab. This is because they know that they are not going to encounter it again for a long time. However, do not do it. It will cause you to become tired for the first day of rehab. It will also mean that you will feel sick. Basically, it is not going to be a very great first day.
- Throughout treatment, do not be afraid to ask questions. There are people out there who assume that marijuana treatment is a passive process and that you just need to sit back, relax, and let people talk to you. It is not. If you want to get anything out of this treatment then you will need to take an active role. Ask as many questions as you can. Your therapist is not going to mind. This will make overcoming your addiction a whole lot easier as you will gain a greater understanding about what you are going through.
- Do not forget to ask about aftercare services. Just because the initial treatment plan is done, it does not necessarily mean that you are completely cured of your addiction. In fact, you are going to get cravings for a long time after. This is why you need to ensure that there is a backup service in place that will be there to provide you with support so that you do not ‘relapse’.
Finally; it is important that you put the effort into ensuring that you choose the right program in Melbourne for you. There are a number of different options on there, and they all offer different methods for dealing. If you wish for the treatment to be successful, then you need to choose a program which resonates with you.